We live at a time where almost everything we do is closely connected to or powered by the internet. As much as this has afforded home and business owners convenience of getting what they need fast, there are some risks that come along with these conveniences. Today, you can have a wide range of Internet of Things (IoT) devices installed to help you do many different things. However, IT support providers in Irvine caution against the use of unsecured IoT devices. Read on to understand why.
What is IoT?
IoT can be defined as a system interrelated that comprises of computing devices, digital and mechanical machines that are fitted some unique identifiers with the ability to transfer data across networks without needing any human or computer interactions. Seeing how important this is, it is recommended that you ensure that you have IoT security in place.
What are the Risks of Using Unsecured IoT Devices?
There are many IoT threats facing businesses. Cybercriminals know the important role that IoT devices play in business. This is why you need to consider partnering with an IT support provider in Irvine to secure your IoT devices.
Here are possible risks of using unsecured IoT devices:
- Access to mission critical data – IoT devices has the capacity to record and store information which can be accessed by anyone who has access to the device or the network it is collected to. A compromised IoT device can be used by a hacker to access your IT network.
- Sabotage – Depending on what the IoT device normally does, a hacker can access it and cause it to malfunction leading to some serious disruption in business.
- Botnets – Hackers have the power of bringing together to infected IoT devices and use them for launching Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS). This can cause serious disruptions to your business.
How Can You Secure Your IoT Devices?
Seeing the deadly threats that unsecured IoT devices pose to businesses, we have— in our capacity as a provider of IT services in Orange County— found the following to be best practices that can help protect your IoT devices:
- Use of strong passwords
- Implementing a robust patch management system
- Always ensure that your routers are secured
Need Our Help?
As you can see, IoT security threats are real and you need to pay close attention to this. At Technijian Corporation, we are an experienced IT support provider in Irvine ready to help you install and secure your IoT devices. Contact us today and let us help you stay safe online.